Monday, July 6, 2009

I've been exploring online word processing

I've been exploring online word processing tools. I created an account at Zoho Writer first. I soon discovered that the application wouldn't launch on my Macintosh. That brought my interest in Zoho Writer to a screeching halt! I didn't even bother to check out their support documents to see if my assumption was correct. I moved on to Google Docs. So far, it seems very intuitive. I like it when I don't have to read tons of documentation to use an application. The application is robust (i.e. it has most of the editing and styling tools I'm used to, and the standard keyboard shortcuts work).

I finally broke down and explored the Help section. It looks like the Google Documents, Google Spreadsheets, and Google Presentations are all going to be easy to use. I think that the most interesting feature is the ability to collaborate with others on a document. According to the Help topics, if you and another collaborator are editing the same document at the same time, a box at the bottom left of the screen will appear, telling you the name of the collaborators you're working with.

I'm really interested now to see how well it exports my document for use in my blog. I'm about to find out.

It wasn't perfect. It threw in a few html tags I didn't expect, but It worked! I was able to publish this article directly from Google Docs.

No comments: